Welcome To The Ultimate Spellhowler Guide!
Spellhowlers are Dark Elves (Mystic) that can be selected after finishing the Class Transfer quest at lvl 31. They specialize in Staves and wear Robes. Spellhowlers cast wide channelling spells to debuff enemies by slowing them down and reducing their defense (Corruption). They perform best in groups — Spellhowlers achieve their full potential when paired with allies capable of disabling enemies, setting up for the full-blast damage of Spellhowler spells.
Spellhowlers are primarily damage dealing Mages. As Dark Elves, they naturally have high ATK and CRIT. However, they lack HP and DEF which means they are squishy; avoiding enemies while skills are on cooldown is a must. Despite their overwhelming burst damage, Spellhowlers have long skill cooldowns that can put them at a defensive disadvantage.
Without question, Spellhowlers are best to use in the field for core hunting, leveling and finishing quests, because monster AI mechanics don’t behave like players and usually take the bulk of your damage. However, Spellhowlers also excel in group PvP, as they can easily kill clustered enemies, provided that there is someone from your party ready to tank and grab the enemy’s attention.
Spellhowlers are capable of dealing massive amounts of burst damage due to the Active buff, Fatal Wisdom, which increases M. Attack for 15 sec. This will give you enough time to cast all your channeling skills to further weaken enemies in an area. Additionally, the Death Whisper skill provides bonus Critical Damage to your party, which overall increases the team’s output damage.
However, even with high damage capabilities, Spellhowlers can be rather mediocre in 1v1 Arena. They lack disabling skills, and are often entirely dependent on their party. Largely, Spellhowlers are relegated to the role of backline damage dealers, which is why their addition to a party can be very important in Sieges. With the enemy’s defense and movement speed weakened, Spellhowlers easily negate potential attacks.
While Spellhowlers have naturally low HP, they are able to regain HP with their lifestealing passive skill, Attacking Light Heal. This skill will be a huge benefit in both PvE and PvP, as potions aren’t enough source of regeneration, given their long cooldown.
If you enjoy playing with a party while dealing high AoE damage from the backlines, then Spellhowler is definitely the right class for you!
- High DPS for a Mage Class due to Fatal Wisdom & Corruption
- Great for party play due to Corruption Skill
- Dark Breath has the highest AoE DPS of any class in the game
- Very high burst damage from their 2 AoE skills
- Will outdamage most classes in the game, provided they aren’t targeted
- Great setup for team PvP fights and fighting against bosses
- Cannot survive strong burst hits from bosses due to low base HP and DEF
- Skills have long cooldowns
- Very fun class to play, but difficult due to their relative fragileness
- Often the first priority target in Fortress Siege, due to their threatening damage, and they are easy kills once knocked down
- Positioning is crucial to maximize your damage and survivability
|Weapon||Dark Abyss (PvP / Overall 1st priority)|
|Branch of the Mother Tree (PvE magical monsters)|
|Demon’s Staff (PvE normal monsters)|
|Flaming Dragon Skull (Boss hunt)|
|Staff of Life (elite monsters)|
|Accessories||Elven Set (Highest ATK stat of all accessories / Stun resist)|
|Nassen Set (Chasing / Movement increase / Manual Evasion)|
Skill Priority and Usage
Be sure to obtain Level 1 on all your skills before following the prioritization (specifically Fever and Attacking Light Heal). Prioritize leveling up your passives first that contribute to attack power (Mage Weapon Mastery and Robe Mastery). After that, make sure that your Fatal Wisdom is always maxed out, because this buff offers a huge increase in your M. Attack, which has considerably has high scaling of damage per level. Next, upgrade your Death Whisper and Active Skills (Corruption and Dark Breath). Attacking Light Heal will be the last to max because of its very low increase per level.
PvP (Siege) Skillset – Corruption / Dark Breath / Fatal Wisdom
PvP (Arena) Skillset – Flame Strike / Corruption / Fatal Wisdom
PvE Skillset – Corruption / Dark Breath / Fatal Wisdom
|Active||Flame Strike||Launches a flaming ball to deal massive explosion damage and knockdown enemies.||8th/9th||X|
|Dark Breath||Channels dark element flames to deal damage. You can alter the direction while casting.||5th/6th||5th/6th|
|Corruption||Corrupts an area on the ground to damage enemies and decrease their Def. and Speed.||5th/6th||5th/6th|
|Fatal Wisdom||Briefly increases M. Atk. to its limit.||3rd/4th||4th|
|Passive||Magic Weapon Mastery||Increases Atk. when a Staff is equipped.||1st||1st|
|Robe Mastery||Increases Attack Damage when Robe-armor is equipped. The effect stacks up to 4 times.||2nd||2nd|
|Death Whisper||Increases the Critical Damage of you and your party members. This effect is region-wide.||3rd/4th||3rd|
|Fever||Has a chance of generating a buff that increase Critical Damage when a Crt.Atk. lands.||7th||7th|
|Attacking Light Heal||Has a chance of recovering HP when attacking.||8th/9th||8th|
|Dark Elven Potential||Their splendid battle senses grant them a higher Crit. Rate when attacking enemies. (Bonuses to Acc. and Crit. Rate.)||Innate||Innate|
|Rare||Missile Bolt||This powerful skill deals critical damage to a few enemies.||✔ (Arena)||✔ (More DPS)|
|Meteor Shower||This skill is ideal for attacking many enemies in a large area.||✔ (Arena)||✔ (More DPS)|
|Absolute Shield||This skill greatly improves your Def. so you are able to withstand powerful enemies.||X||✔ (Added survivability)|
|Healing Strike||This skill is a very effective means of healing to extend your HP effectively for a duration of time.||X||✔ (Added survivability)|
|Poison Strike||Puts an enemy to a poisoned state, reduces damage and movement speed for a certain amount of time. Additional damage during debuff duration.||✔ (Alternative for M. Bolt)||X|
Specific Skills Usage
- Death Whisper should be a priority if you’re planning on partying a lot
- Use Corruption first to reduce the target’s DEF before barraging them with your other skills
- Fever and Wizard Light Heal greatly boosts your damage output and survivability in PvE
- Fatal Wisdom is the topmost priority in your active skills behind Corruption and Dark Breath. Added M. Atk increases your bulk damage especially when your damaging skills are on cooldown
Main Stats and Sub-stats Priority
|Equipment||Soul Crystal (Not applicable in NA/EU servers)||Pet Mount|
|Weapon - Critical Rate / Critical Damage / M. Atk or Penetration||Purple - Critical Damage (All)||Helmet - Critical Rate (All)|
|Helmet - P. Def / Penetration / Evasion or M. Def||Orange - Critical Damage (All)||Armor - Critical Rate (All)|
|Armor - P. Def / Speed / M. Def or Resilience or Evasion||Red - Critical Damage (All)||Saddle - Evasion or Critical Resist or Resilience (user preference)|
|Gloves - M. Atk / Evasion / Penetration||Yellow - Evasion or Resilience (user preference)||Boots - Evasion or Critical Resist or Resilience (user preference)|
|Shoes - M. Atk / Evasion / Speed||Cyan - Critical Damage (All)|
|Necklace - Critical Resist / Resilience / HP Drain or P. Def||Green - Evasion or Resilience (user preference)|
|Earring - Speed / Penetration / HP Drain or Critical Resist||Black - Evasion or Resilience (user preference)|
|Ring - M. Atk / Critical Rate / Critical Damage or HP Drain||Blue - Evasion or Resilience (user preference)|
|Silver - Critical Damage (All)|
Other Useful Class Tips
- Mage Weapon Mastery is your topmost priority to max out. Your passive skills, especially the ones that contribute to attack, are extremely important early game to progress fast.
- Elven Accessory Set is the best for added DPS and Stun resistance. If you want move quickly to easily disengage in battles, go for Nassen Set.
- One strategy in the Tower of Insolence is to run around the map to lump all the monsters together before blasting them with Corruption.
- Keep Flame Strike at level 1 early on, since you only need it for the knockdown effect in PvP
- In PvP Siege/Clan wars:
- Wait for your allies to disable your enemies and while zoning them in a cluster > Corruption > [IMMEDIATELY] Meteor Shower and Missile Bolt > Dark Breath (While the enemy is still knocked down) > Wait for skill CD and repeat process
- In PvP Arena
- Wait for an opening or manually evade enemy skills first > Flame Strike > Corruption > [IMMEDIATELY] Meteor Shower and Missile Bolt > Normal attack
- For Rare Skills, use Missile Bolt and Meteor Shower in Arena PvP. Healing Strike and Absolute Shield are must haves for Elite Dungeon Farming since you need survivability.